"There isn't anyone you couldn't love once you've heard their story."
- Fred Rogers

Monday, March 22, 2010

Shanan

I'm sorry for another video but if you know me, you'd better get used to it. These blog posts will be diverse but I have to share this and again if you know me well, you know I love footage and I have a huge collection myself and honestly I love it so much because it has been my greatest inspiration and education and I have gotten to know people that I now know and love very much through it. There's a lot of reasons but it is one of my priceless loves.

This video is especially special because Shanon is so much like me. She is worse off visually but goes about things the same way, seems to have the same attitude and determination in life, and seems to have trouble with some of the same simple things, like finding small things on the floor and seeing playing cards. She is much older than me at 40. That is such a relief to me because in the ONH world I am very old. Out of all the ONH patients I have learned about online through China Stem Cells, I have been the oldest to be diagnosed. I am not the oldest overall, but to not be diagnosed til you're 26 is unheard of and very unique. Most again are babies or young children. Matthew Sims is now 22 and was diagnosed at 4 I believe, and Shanon now 40 was diagnosed when she was a baby For me to just barely be diagnosed at 26 is insane, unheard of.

It is so exciting to meet these new people who are so much like me when I grew up and knew no one who had this problem! I am loving this and it'll be even more exciting to meet new people all around the world who are the same as me, to meet them in person and live with them for over a month will be incredible. Enjoy this video, it's awesome.

In the video, her mom says "She's cheated her way through life, and she's done amazing, but this is for real." I loved that. That's exactly how I feel. I've cheated my way through life or faked it you know. That is so true, it's the same thing I talked about on my family blog post "It's official: My thoughts and Feelings" I said the same thing. I have faked it and pretended and just worked really hard...
I just thought it was cool to have words so similar.


Shanan -- ONH Stem Cell Patient from Stem Cells China on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. So much like your story Lexie. Wow! This whole process is incredible.

    ReplyDelete